Ferran, Marketta and Juli at the restaurant.
I have two things of public interest here: a description of my dinner at elBulli, and a (much simpler) writeup of a dinner at Matsuhisa in Los Angeles.
Apple Caviar Steps
Chef Ferrán Adriá of El Bulli – Roses, Spain:
Once apple solution has been made and well-chilled, follow along with this video clip to learn how to complete the apple caviar recipe:
- Fill several syringes with apple caviar solution.
Note: Syringes are used in a similar way that pastry chefs use pastry sleeves. A modern technique of extracting the apple solution has not yet been developed so syringes are used instead
- Release juice from syringe, one drop at a time, into calcium chloride mixture. At this point, you should see little droplets form resembling caviar. Speed is very important here.
- Cook caviar in boiling water for one minute (not shown in video)
- Gently strain and rinse caviar in a cold water bath.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of caviar into mold or decorative tin.
Garnish with passion fruit and a mint leaf.
Download Video Clip
Decoding Ferran Adria